We wish to experiment with our themes and plugins without affecting the site but most of us lack the knowledge to do so. With this in mind the following post is written to teach you how to install WordPress locally on windows 10.
Why install WordPress locally?
Installing WordPress locally helps you to edit themes, source codes, experiment all your ideas without affecting the original site. Later you can import them. Moreover, It serves as a testing environment and is a good way to develop websites on a local machine. It helps us to speed up development time. In addition to this, all changes made to the environment can only be viewed by you. The three main steps followed to install WordPress locally are
- Installing WAMP on your PC
- Creating a database for WordPress
- Installing WordPress
What is WAMP?
To begin with, WAMP stands for Windows, Apache, MySQL, and Python. It is a complete package for Windows systems and is used on Windows servers.
“W” stands for Windows, which is the OS that runs on your system.
“A” stands for Apache which is a web server that serves web pages. It is one of the widely used web server software and is responsible for running nearly 39% of active websites and 35% of the top websites. When you search for a web page, Apache checks and provides the requested webpage after which you tend to view them.
“M” stands for MySQL. This is an open source relational database management system. WordPress uses MySQL for storing and retrieval of data from the database.
Finally, “P” stands for PHP which is an open source programming and scripting language extensively used for web development.
To sum up, WAMP is a software bundle which helps us to test pages in the web server without publishing them.
Part 1: Installing WAMP
WAMP is suitable only for Windows systems. Before installing WAMP on your system you must verify whether your system runs 32 or 64 bit Operating system. To do that,
- Firstly, Navigate to Control Panel>System and Security>System. You can find your System type.
2. Now download the corresponding WAMP software on to your system. You can download the software from here. Then, Launch the setup.
3. Once you have launched the setup, select language and hit OK.
4. Next click on “I accept the agreement” and hit Next>
5. Read the instructions before proceeding, Finally click Next>
6. Select the folder where you wish to install WAMP and hit Next>
7. Choose your destination where you wish to install WAMP shortcut. If you are OK with the current location hit Next>
8. Hit Install to continue with the installation.
9. You can grab a coffee while WAMP gets installed. It normally takes under five minutes.
10. Select a browser. Consequently this would be the one which you would use to work on WordPress locally. By default Internet Explorer is used. If you wish to use a different browser hit Yes and select the file location. However, if you are comfortable with using Internet Explorer hit No.
11. Although notepad is used as the default text editor you could hit Yes to select a new one.
12. Skim through the instructions and hit Next>
13. Finally, Click the Finish button to complete the installation.
Part 2: Creating a Database
- Launch WAMP Server in the first place. You can see a green “W” icon on your taskbar click it. An Yellow or red “W” icon indicates that the services aren’t turned on. Start the services by clicking on the icon.
2. Click on phpMyAdmin to create your database. It is nothing but a free software tool used for administration of MySQL over the Web.
3.You would be taken to phpMyAdmin login page. Enter your username as root and leave the password field blank. Finally hit Go. This is the default login credential.
4. Under Databases tab specify the name of your database. In this case it is test. Finally hit Create.
Part 3: Installing WordPress locally
- Firstly, you need to download wordpress files which you can do it from here. This is used for installing wordpress locally.
2. After downloading, extract its files. If you do not know how to extract them click here.
3. Grab a bite while the zip files get extracted.
4. Now copy the entire folder to C:\wamp\www folder. You can rename the folder of your choice. Note that this would be the URL of your WordPress site. So choose a simple name. In this case, it’s testsite.
5. Now type the following in the URL bar of your default browser which you had selected earlier. Then, Hit enter. URL: http://localhost/testsite/
Note: If you use a different name then, it takes the place of testsite.
7. Provide the database name which you have previously entered.(Part 2 Step 4) Type in the username as root and leave the password field blank. Finally click on submit.
8. Finally, click on “Run the installation” to proceed with the installation.
9. Enter your site’s title, Username, password and finally click on “Install WordPress”. Note that these credentials are those which you use to log on to your local wordpress site. Thus, choose
10. Type in the credentials which you have entered in the previous step and finally hit “Log in” to Log on to your WordPress site.
Congratulations you have learnt how to install WordPress locally on windows 10.
Frequently Asked Questions
This indicates that you do not have the latest visual c++ redistributable packages installed. You can download them from here. Then, Reinstall Wamp. If you still get some other
The sky is your limit. Feel free to tweak all possible features. As this would not affect your original site.
Hope you have understood how to install WordPress locally on windows 10. This would surely help you in the long run. Leave your queries in the comment section below. I will respond to them ASAP. If you find the article useful consider sharing it. Happy Blogging! 🙂