Do you want to delete your WordPress blog? While it is cool and easy to blog with WordPress, sometimes you feel its not just your cup of tea. In this article, we have shown you the steps and the precautionary measures.
The process of deleting your WordPress account is pretty simple. Before deleting your account, you have to determine what sort of an account yours is.
WordPress accounts comes in two flavours.
- WordPress.com site
- Self hosted WordPress website
The former one is a free blog created under WordPress. The second one is a self hosted WordPress site. You can determine if your site is the a self hosted one or not by looking at your site’s URL. If your site has the address “wordpress.com” in its the end then it is not a Self hosted WordPress site. If it is not present then vice versa.
1. Deleting WordPress.com account
Deleting your WordPress account is pretty simple.
- Log on to your WordPress site
- Under Dashboard select Settings.
3. Click on Export All.(It is always a good idea to backup your account before deleting it). Now click on download. A local backup will be created.
4. Click on Settings once again and scroll down till the end. You can see a link which reads “Delete your site permanently”. Select it.
5.Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select “Delete site”.
WARNING! site deletions cannot be undone.
You have deleted your WordPress account successfully.
2. Deleting self hosted WordPress site
A self-hosted WordPress site does not offer the facility of deleting the account directly. So we tend to access the Cpanel of our website for its deletion. Make sure that you have exported a backup of the site before its deletion.
1. Exporting a backup
1.Select Export under Tools option on the dashboard.
2. Scroll down a bit where you can find an option which states “Choose what to export”. Select “All content” and click on “Download Export File” button.
You have successfully exported the backup file of your site(in the form of an XML file) and now comes the deletion part.
2. Deletion of the site using cpanel
- Login to your cpanel of your site.
- Choose File manager under Files.
3. Under the list of files, select the html file named “public.html”.
4. Here you can find a huge list of files. Find the file with the name of the site you want to delete. For example, if the name of your site is players then a file named players would exist.
5. Here you can find a file named “wp-config.php” select it.
6. On top you can find an option which reads Code Editor click on it.
7. A window pops up. Click the Edit button .
8. Copy the database name and the username onto a text file which is used later for the deletion of the
9. Select all the files and click on the option which states “X delete” on the top of your page.
If you have failed to create a backup of the files, follow the steps marked “optional”.
10. (Optional)You can also create a backup by selecting all the files and selecting the option “Compress” which is present on the left corner of the Webpage.
11. (Optional)Select the type of Archive file from the given list and select “Compress File(s)”. A pop up window shows the compression results. Select Close.
12. (Optional) Click on Reload on the top of the page. Now you can see a new file created in of the name “wp-admin.zip”.
13. (Optional) Click “Download”.
14. Select everything. Click on “Delete”. Click on the “Skip the trash and permanently delete the files” and click on the confirm button. You have deleted all your files successfully.
3. Deletion of database
- In order to delete the Database access the Cpanel once again and select MySQL Databases.
2. Scroll down to the area which displays “Current databases”.
3. Refer to the database name which you have copied in the text editor and Click on the delete option under the Actions area for the database which you wish to delete(The name you have copied in the text editor).
4. Now click on “Delete Database”(which causes the deletion of
5. In order to delete the database username go to the area which displays “Current Users”. Refer to the database user name which you have previously copied and click on delete under the Actions tab.
6. Click on the “Delete User” button.
7. That’s it. You have successfully deleted everything related to your site.
I hope that the above-given steps have helped you to delete your WordPress account. If you have any questions leave them in the comments section below. Refer to my other posts if you need help in Blogging. Happy Blogging. 🙂